You have to remember that at this point in time, there are a lot of…
How to Keep Your Home Safe While on Vacation
You know for a fact that you deserve a vacation especially after how hard you have worked these past few days. You have anticipated going on a vacation for months because it will relax you and refresh you. There is nothing wrong with this. What you have to remember is this: you have to keep your house protected while you are gone.
You need to think about the spots and the areas that robbers may enter if they would try to go inside your home. For example, do you think that you roof is not at its best anymore? They may be able to smash into the roof and enter from there. You do not want that to happen. You can hire a roofing contractor that can check, repair or replace the roof for you. It is important to choose someone reliable so you do not have to worry about your roof causing problems in the long run.
Aside from your roof, you also have to think about the different possible entry points of intruders. For example, will they enter through your windows? Make sure that they are protected from the outside and even from the inside. Your doors should have new locks and of course, your alarm system should work. If you are still not feeling safe about leaving your house unguarded, here are other things you can do:
- You can allow a relative of yours or someone that you trust to stay inside your home while you are on vacation. Hiring a house sitter may be good but you are not sure if the house sitter has collaborated with others that may cause more chaos to your home. Allow someone that you know and trust to stay at home instead. If you have pets, they can take care of your pets too.
- Stop the delivery of newspaper and your mail during your vacation. When the mail and the newspaper start to pile up in front of your doorstep, you can already guess that robbers will see that your house is an easy target.
- You can ask your neighbours to keep watch. If you have always been friends with your neighbour then you can use this to your advantage. You can ask the neighbours to take a look at your home from time to time. If they see some suspicious activities, they can report it to the police.
- Do not share in social media that you are about to go on vacation. It will let potential thieves know that your home is going to be left unattended for a week or so. You can post photos after your vacation but before that, allow your social media friends to just speculate.
- Make sure that you will remove the plugs of your appliances because electricity is still going to move even when the appliances are turned off. It will not be too hard to remove the plugs of the appliances, right?
With all of these things in mind, remember that going on vacation should give you peace of mind. It should not turn into a nightmare so keep your home safe.